10 Amazing Hepatitis B Facts That Will Make You Want to Test and Vaccinate Immediately
1. Hepatitis B virus infection can be prevented with a safe and effective vaccine. You cannot get hepatitis B from the hepatitis B vaccine.
2. The hepatitis B vaccine prevents liver cancer.
3. An estimated 800,000 to 1.4 million people in the US have chronic HBV infection.
4. Adults age 19 through 59 with diabetes are twice as likely as those without diabetes to develop acute hepatitis B infection.
5. Hepatitis B infections have declined substantially since 1991 when a strategy to eliminate HBV transmission through immunization was started.
6. More than 50 percent of new hepatitis B cases could be prevented if hepatitis B vaccination were routinely offered to everyone attending sexually transmitted disease clinics and to all correctional facility inmates.
7. Even if a person infected with hepatitis B virus does not feel sick, he or she can still infect others.
8. Hepatitis B infection can result in chronic (life-long) infection that increases a person’s risk of developing chronic liver disease, including cirrhosis and liver cancer.
9. Hepatitis B virus is found in blood and other body fluids such as semen and vaginal secretions.
10. The hepatitis B virus is 100 times more infectious than HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.